TDNet TOUResolver is NISO-compliant software package that runs on TDNet’s server for providing context-sensitive reference linking. It links from reference databases to full text of OpenURL and non-OpenURL target resources. If full text is not available, TOUResolver will link to document delivery, pay per view, ILL, library catalog(s), or search the web for the article.
The library may customize TOUResolver’s interface for “Look & Feel”, for preferences of full text linking, for further target linking, such as to OPAC, Document / ILL, Pay-per-View, or to any other suitable target.
TOUResolver benefits from TDNet’s optional Table of Contents service in several ways:
- TOC integration allows the link resolver to compare incoming article citation information with the article information from TDNet’s TOCs, resulting in more accurate link resolution;
- When the link resolver receives an article citation with incomplete information, TOUResolver can supplement this information with data from a matching Table of Contents record;
- TOC integration allows TOUResolver to provide the best available direct article-level links to full text target resources, including OpenURL, DOI, PMID, and proprietary full text links.
TOUResolver can be setup with a minimum of work by the library staff. The system can be hosted by TDNet, eliminating the need for IT resources and infrastructure normally associated with installing and maintaining a link resolver.
To begin using TOUResolver, the library simply identifies the full text databases and individual journals in their collection, and TDNet builds a custom knowledge base of the library’s holdings. The library then completes a simple registration process to activate TOUResolver in their OpenURL enabled Source databases.
TDNet can also provide data file support for OpenURL Sources that require holdings information to activate a link resolver, such as Google Scholar and PubMed LinkOUT.
Maintenance & Administration
TOUResolver is automatically updated weekly to provide the latest titles, links, coverage dates, and TOCs. In addition to the standard weekly update, an online Administrator function is included that allows customers to:
- Update title collections and individual e-journals in Real-Time
- Customize the text and appearance of the Resolver interface
- Select “Target Display” options that determine how links to target resources are displayed
- Generate TDNet and COUNTER usage statistics reports – viewed
Hosted by TDNet, TOUResolver does not require a dedicated server. It does not require any IT resources. Except for the usual registration, it does not impose any workload on the library. TOUResolver is based on TDNet’s multi-disciplinary Knowledge Base. It contains all relevant information: links, linking rules, proxy redirects, passwords for particular providers, and local database redirects. Coupled with CrossRef’s DOI, TOUResolver stands out for flexibility, performance and maintenance-free resolving to full text.